Veal Meat- Lean, Healthy And Easy To Digest
Veal meat is another category of meat deriving from bovine. Bovine is the technical name for beef, cows and cattle. Veal is processed from the youngest cattle aging to around 20 weeks, but in some countries it can be even older, and also as young as only days old. Weights ranging from around 30kg up to 250kg and again, in some countries, mainly European, even heavier. As a butcher I tend to believe that any carcass heavier than 250kg is tending towards baby beef and leaving the veal categorization. But this is my opinion only.
Calves from the dairy industry are mainly used for veal meat production but this is not always the case. For optimum milk production, once a calf is born it is removed from its mother and moved into a rearing process for production of either, breeding stock, mainly the females called heifers, of meat production, the males called bulls, for veal or further growth into beef meat.
The calves are fed predominately on a milk diet and this is to keep the meat from darkening through growth in age and diet. Veal meat is pale or very light pink in colour and even sometimes described as rose-coloured meat. It has its own distinct flavor and taste but not as strong and flavorful as the maturer beef meat. For me, it needs adding seasonings to enhance or give flavor.
Veal is much more popular in European countries and people of European descent are accustomed to having veal for their meals. It is very well-known in dishes such as Wiener Schnitzel, Veal Goulash, Veal Saltinbocca, Veal Scalopini, Veal Parmigiana, just to name a few.
Veal meat is considered a delicacy and is priced a little higher than conventional beef. I think this would be because of the cost of feeding and extra care needed for the production.
Healthy Features of Veal…
As veal is from young animals and fed mainly on a milk diet, the meat is quite lean and very tender. The leanness and tenderness allows the meat to be digested much easier than its counter part beef. Also, because of its leanness and low fat content care is taken in preparation and it should not me over cooked as the meat can dry out losing its moistness and become tough.
Here are some heath features of veal:
- Lower Saturated Fat: There are many health benefits of saturated fat for metabolism, but excessive fat in your body could lead to several health conditions from increasing the risks of obesity and cardiovascular conditions.
- Low Cholesterol Meat Substance: Animal-based products are the number one source of cholesterol. However, compared to regular beef, the amount of cholesterol found in veal meat is surprisingly low. This is great information for people that struggle with controlling their cholesterol level. Veal meat can be enjoyed to alleviate these issues.
- High Protein Content: One of the health benefits of red meat is its content of high protein with veal meat being of no exception. Protein has an essential role in forming strong and healthy muscle. Protein intake is required to build muscle mass for those that want to body build to get that ideal body shape.
- Low Calories: People wanting a low calorie diet can eat veal. Veal meat can be a great source of protein and minerals to fulfill your daily intake without the worry about the calorie’s consumption since it contains low calorie’s.
- Packed with Vitamin B Complex: Veal meat is packed with essential vitamin B complex. Vitamin B complex has an essential role in maintaining your energy source to keep you going. Vitamin B also has an essential role in the maintenance of the nerve system and brain health.
- Metabolism System: An important key to having a healthy body is having a healthy metabolism. Veal meat contains some essential minerals that will support your metabolism.
- Iron Content Is Similar to Beef: Being part of the bovine category the amount of iron similar to that of mature beef meat but lower in calorie content, veal meat is a great option.
- Low Carbohydrate Diet Needs: Low Carb diets have become popular and veal meat fits perfectly for this way of eating. A low carb diet is good in maintaining good blood sugar levels for those who are diagnosed with certain types of diabetes.
- Easily Digested by The Digestive System: The tender muscle texture of veal meat is easily digested and is excellent for you who have specific digestive system conditions.
- Rich of Omega 6 Fatty Acid: Omega 6 fatty acid has an essential role in your metabolism and veal meat is packed with this type of fatty acid, just like other meat varieties.
Nutritional Values of Veal Meat…
See below nutritional figures for a 100g of veal meat:
|Nutritional Value||Veal Meat Values and Daily Recommended Intake (%)|
|Total Fat||8 gram (12%)|
|– Saturated Fat||3 gram (15%)|
|– Polyunsaturated Fat||0.6 gram|
|– Monounsaturated Fat||2.8 gram|
|Cholesterol||103 mg (34%)|
|Sodium||83 mg (3%)|
|Potassium||337 mg (9%)|
|Protein||24 24g (48%)|
|Calcium||13 mcg (1%)|
|Vitamin B6||0.4mg (20%)|
Tips to Buy and Cook Veal Meat…
Veal is different to your regular beef and below are few things s to note when buying veal meat for your cooking and meals.
- Choose veal with a pale pink colour. It should have little fat.
- The specific cuts are the same as beef and deciding what kind of meal you want to prepare will guide you to the type of cut you need. For example is if you want to a Veal Scalpoini meal then choosing thinly slice steaks coming from the leg cuts are best. For a succulent roast there is nothing better than a thick veal rib chop, seasoned and flavored with garlic and Toscana mixed herbs, wrapped in foil, roasted on low in an oven or Turbo Oven for is divine.
- For a very tender wet cooked meal like a Hungarian Goulash, choose either the veal chuck or shoulder blade diced into big chunks. You will need to add other ingredients like tomatoes and onions but it will produce a hearty winters meal topped over a generous amount of mashed potato.
- Actually, veal meat could be cooked into anything you want. It’s tender and juicy when cooked just right. Just don’t over cook it as it will dry out and toughen up.
Here’s a couple over quick recipes you van try out:
Veal Scalopini with White Wine…
- 10 Thin sliced Veal Leg Steaks. Because veal is tender it can be any part of the leg.
- 2 Medium sliced Onions
- Plain Flour
- 1 to 2 Cups of White Wine
- Frying Pan with a Lid
- Cooking Oil for the pan
- Coat the Scallopini sliced steaks in flour.
- Heat cooking oil in frying pan until hot.
- Add steaks to pan and brown on each side.
- Once the steaks are browned turn heat down to simmer and sprinkle the sliced onions over the steaks.
- Pour White Wine over the onions and steaks and place lid on and let simmer on low heat until onions become soft and translucent. Approx 15 minutes.
**The Flour and Wine will make a tasty Gravy Sauce. Great to serve with mashed potatoes or spiral pasta.
Simple Veal Stroganoff
Easy stove top recipe. I only try to cook the easy meals :-)
- 500g Veal Steak Strips. From any part of the leg or the shoulder bolar blade
- 2 Teaspoons Garlic minced or chopped fine
- 2 Small Onions cut into segments
- 200g Mushrooms sliced
- 1 Tablespoon Paprika
- 3 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 Teaspoon Stock Powder ( any will do )
- 3 Cups Water
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- 4 Table spoons Vegetable Oil
- In a hot frying pan heat oil and brown beef in small batches, remove and set aside.
- Return the pan to heat and add Garlic, Onions, Mushrooms, Paprika, Tomato Paste and Dry Stock Powder. Fry for 2 minutes.
- Add beef and add water and stir to combine.
- Bring to boil and then reduce to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until beef is tender.
- Stir in Sour Cream.
Serve with Rice or Spiral Pasta or Mashed Potatoes.
Some Suppliers Of Veal Meat…
In the USA my recommendations…
In the UK…
Veal is a healthy meat option if you are in need for a specific diet for consuming lower calorie’s and fat content. Veal is still high in protein and also packed with vitamins and minerals similar to beef. Veal meat is what you need for the right the calorie’s and fats content and still give that energy boost. Veal meat is easier to digest than beef and is great for people that have a delicate stomach but still want to enjoy a good meat intake for their bodies.
I hope you found my article helpful and feel free to leave a comment for more information if need be.
Enjoy your meat and regards